The Mopane Worm, caterpillar of the Emperor Moth, is a nutritious traditional African delicacy hand picked in the wild Zambian Bush. As one of the larger caterpillars they can be finger length and thickness and get their name from feeding on the leaves of Mopane trees after hatching each summer.
When harvested they are pinched at the tail end, squeezed like a tube of toothpaste and quickly flicked to remove the gut contents before being boiled in salted water then deep fried.
Nutritionally, they contain upwards of five times the amount of iron than beef and according to the Food & Agricultural Organisation (FAO) are also a great source of potassium, calcium, zinc and copper.
- High in protein and iron and low in carbohydrates
- Sourced from sustainable stocks
- Boiled and deep fried
- Free from artificial colours, flavourings or preservatives
- Contents per pack: Approx 30 insects
- Net weight: 30 grams / 1.05 ounces
- Packaging: Sealed clear re-sealable pouch
- Shipped: Boxed
- Crunchy Critters supports Fairtrade Practices
- Note: Cooked insects are brittle and may not arrive whole or intact following their time in the postal system