Among the most successful insect groups on Earth, with colonies ranging in size from a few hundred to several million, termites are an important food source in many cultures due to their excellent protein levels and pleasant nutty taste.
As the monsoon season approaches termite colonies start to produce future Kings and Queens. When the rain finally arrives these gorged Kings and Queens set off on nuptial flights before starting their own new colonies. Detaching wings which are only good for a flying distance of three hundred metres at best and insect foragers who attempt to harvest them using netted bright lights as a lure make this process a hazardous one. Those Termite Queens who do survive it can live for up to another fifty years, making them the longest lived insect on Earth.
As for eating termites – try them on their own, add them to salads, use them as a pizza topping or try sprinkling them on a goat’s cheese topped celery stick.
- An interesting topping to your pizza or pasta
- High in protein and low in carbohydrates
- Sourced from sustainable stocks
- Free from artificial colours, flavourings or preservatives
- Contents per pack: Approx 100 insects
- Net weight: 10 grams / 0.35 ounces
- Packaging: Clear plastic dish within a resealable stand-up polypouch
- Shipped: Bagged
- Crunchy Critters supports Fairtrade Practices